This will be a one-day workshop, and will be held on Saturday, May 7th, 2016.
Workshop activities will consist of blitz presentations, followed by group activities and discussion.
Morning: Workshop organizers will begin with a brief presentation that offers some background on pervasive play and poses possible “Grand Challenges” in the design and study of pervasive play experiences. Next, each participant will give a blitz presentation that draws from their research summary, superpowers, and/or pervasive play studies that inspire them. Attendees are encouraged to review each other’s research summaries and superpower trading card details (posted on pervasiveplay.org) prior to presenting them. The morning activities will be used to help identify major themes, trends, opportunities and challenges that exist or are emerging in pervasive play research and design. These activities will both reinforce the workshop’s goal to strengthen and expand our pervasive play community and afford participants an opportunity to research partnerships.
Afternoon: Workshop participants will collaborate in groups to explore various aspects of pervasive play identified in the morning. Expected topics and issues include design characteristics of pervasive play, technologies and tools, and pro-social causes that can benefit from pervasive play designs. Participants will review existing game design “decks” for the types of topics and research options that are covered in each, and work to develop themes focused on the study of pervasive play experiences (for a possible “research deck”).
High Level Schedule
- 9:00am – 9:30am — Introduction to Workshop, Research Agenda, “Grand Challenges” for research in Pervasive Play
- 9:30am – 9:45am — Introductory ice-breaker
- 9:45am – 12:15pm — Round-robin of Participant Presentations
- 12:15pm – 2pm — Working Lunch
- 2pm – 3:15pm –Design/Research Deck of Cards Activity
- 3:15pm – 4:30pm — Pervasive Play Subgroup Activity
- The afternoon should include a snack break around 3:30ish.
- 4:30pm – 5pm — Whole Group Reconvene/Summary/Next Steps